Friday, May 24, 2013

My musical odyssey

I discovered Rachmaninov when I was an undergraduate at Rhodes College in Memphis, TN.  At the time, I played 4th Horn on the Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No. 1.  That was when I had time to practice the French horn and devote myself to music.  Now, I have the time but no French horn.  So I did what I could do and became a tenor. 

I sang with a local church choir and the Webster University Choral Society for several years in the 1990's.  But working nights often interfered with it.  I also had season tickets to the St. Louis Symphony the last few years I lived here before moving to Hays, KS.  I learned to appreciate good music and what an outstanding orchestra we had locally.  It's a hidden gem. 

All that was before I sold my French horn when I went to South Africa for a vacation.  Now, I curse my luck.  But I still want a double barreled French horn.  I'm thinking about a professional Yamaha double barreled horn.  Those are expensive.  It would take me a while to come up with the money for one.  My luck being what it is, that won't be for at least another two and a half years.

Right now, I have few musical outlets besides my CD collection.  I'm not singing with anyone.  Though it would be good to have an outlet.  I don't know if the Webster Choir Society still meets on Tuesdays evening.  It might be worthwhile looking into.  The problem is I don't know if my writing group will switch dates from Mondays to Thursdays when they finally chose a new location this summer.  I'll have to see what is going on at Webster University... 

No comments:

Post a Comment